Sunday, May 31, 2009

more randomness...

The other day I saw a 2, maybe 3, year old Palestinian child with a "Slipknot" shirt on. Excuse me, what?

Last week I heard strange, screeching noises coming from outside of my house. It was very loud and sounded as if it was via microphone. I had to investigate. I went into my garden and peered over the fence into the courtyard of the Khalil Sakakini Center. A middle-aged European man was standing there making crazy noises, and saying unrecognizeable words to an audience of about a dozen. I didn't know what was going on. I thought he might have tourette's syndrome. He continued and then stopped. The audience clapped. He then started up again this time interspersing his high-pitched screeching with growling and English and French words. He stopped. The audience clapped. For his final performance piece he basically yelled and repeated the same words. Then 2 guys came up beside him and started sprinkling flour all over his head. This, ladies and gentlemen, is performance art. Wow.

After having been told by S, an Englishman, that I have a Spanish accent when I speak Arabic, I was told by a Palestinian that I have a very good Palestinian accent when I speak Arabic. That's better.

Gyms in Palestine are pretty much exactly like gyms in the Western world -- complete with oogling men, ridiculously unmotivating techno music, and women wearing unnecessarily tight fitting clothes.

People here like to use baby-like nicknames in place of complicated first names. For instance, I am ju-ju, Mithqal is ku-ku, S is su-su, and so on... I am not so sure I like being called "ju-ju." Just think about it.

I am beginning to believe that it doesn't matter where you are in the world, the 'happy birthday' song is universal. I have made it a point to learn the Arabic version while I am here.

Why is it that the internationals of Ramallah don't acknowledge other internationals? How is it that when I walk down the street blatantly staring at the 'ajnabiyyat' that I don't get so much as a smile upon eye contact? Welcome to the bubble that is Ramallah. Now get over yourselves.

When referring to the term 'cocktail' in Palestine please remember that it is not a alcoholic drink like in the West; rather it is a freshly blended fruit juice, usually made with ice cream - a bit like a smoothy actually and can be found on almost every street corner.

The only shops that you will see that are open 24 hours a day in Palestine are the bakeries - stressing the importance that Palestinians place on having fresh bread at hand at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment