Saturday, August 30, 2008

Jerusalem - Day Two

Friday 22.Aug.08
After my coffee and bagel I walked back to the hotel to meet Kherieh and Vicki at 2PM. When she arrived she drove us to the Ambassador Hotel which was in the governmental region of Jerusalem – where a lot of of embassies and consulates are located. The hotel restaurant was lovely with an outside atrium-type area. Kherieh ordered us mezze, which was a sample of every kind of salad and dip they had. It was amazing. I don’t even know what half of it was, but it was delicious nonetheless. I wish I would have taken a picture of the spread. In addition to that I ordered lamb kebabs. I was so full from eating the mezze that I could not even come close to finishing the kebabs. We sat there for quite a while chatting, eating, and drinking Turkish coffee. After dinner Kherieh took us to the botanical gardens or Wohl Rose Garden over by the Knesset. There were flowers and roses from every country in the world. When we arrived at the German section, the sign that indicated that the flowers had been donated by Germany had been vandalized – every time the sign said “Germany” it had been scratched out. It is amazing to me that after all this time there is such animosity towards Germany because of what happened 60 years ago.

After walking around the garden for a while Kherieh gave us a driven tour of Jerusalem. We drove past PM Olmert’s house as well as the President’s residence. We also drove by the Israel Museum, which contains portions of the Dead Sea scrolls. We then headed south towards the German Colony and then back up north passing by the infamous King David Hotel. The German Colony is an area of Jerusalem where many Arabs had lived before 1967. They were forced out of their homes and the Jews moved in. It is quite a nice neighborhood and evidence of the once Arab neighborhood is evident by the Arabic script located in the stones of many of the buildings there. Kherieh took us towards northeast Jerusalem and up Mt. Scopus, where Hebrew University is located. The view from the mountain is amazing – you can see a huge portion of the city, including the old city and the Dome of the Rock. We arrived just before sunset and I was able to capture it on camera. There was a religious tour group up there who were holding hands singing songs. It was beautiful in an odd sort of way.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Jen! This is Irina from GC :) Looking at these pictures brings back wonderful memories. That's so awesome that you have this page! I wish I did that too, so I can remember all that little things. I love this sunset picture! Keep them comming :) Have fun! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete